Wednesday, January 7, 2009

first few days

I love my job.
The first two days were mostly in-processing. It was really cool to be at the Main State Department Building. I kind of wanted to just walk around with my blissed out look on my face reading all of the captions by photos and looking at the cool diplomatic gifts received - I suppose I will still have my chance but was trying to not let everyone in my class know just how absolutely giddy I am to be there!
Although I don't know why since most people I tak to are just as absolutely thrilled.
And apparently it is very common to constantly think...uh oh are they going to realize they made a mistake and take this all away?
At the meet and greet our speaker said (and I super paraphrase and misquote here):
"Half of you look around and think there must have been a mistake made but are so thankful they let you in the room. The other half think they are really great and are looking around wondering how a bunch of the others got in the room. The second group won't get far."
That was strangely comforting.
I'm a little spooked that essentially when I am overseas I can assume I am being watched by someone pretty much always but eh again it is so worth it.
My classmates are amazing. They all come in with impressive histories and bizarre accomplishments. For example, I rode the metro with someone who used to recruit priests and then had lunch with a former beauty queen and Hooter's waitress. I am enjoying just getting to know them all!
Today was the first day at the actual Foreign Service Institute. The campus is gorgeous and formality reigns. They really know what they are doing with the orientation. The information is fascinating and presented at the perfect speed.
Tomorrow we get our bid lists! Today we were told to go home, pour a glass of wine, read the guide to bidding and really think about our preferences and what we want.
Yes, my homework involves wine.
I am indeed up for that challenge!

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog today. Congrats and welcome to the FS! I hope you get a great first assignment.

    I have added a link to you on my blogroll of FS blogs at http://lifeafterjerusalem.blogspot.com. And if you have any questions about blogging after you get your DS briefing, feel free to email me.

    ReplyDelete