Sunday, October 31, 2010

what have i done in india lately

Just saw a commercial where a guy and girl were passing fireworks between them. Then the woman takes a rocket firework and finds a jewelry box on it. She opens it up and the dude takes the ring and puts in on. It did not seem like a dude ring to me. Confused. Another commercial has a girl and guy obviously having some meeting to see if they would be a good match when a dude comes in and apparently is upset at being jilted by the dude. My favorite commercial lately has been the one where the old dude yells at the young dude with headphones to not cut in line and to respect proper queueing. Oh that and the young Hindustan commercials for Pepsi which are so obviously the 20 years later and in India version of the Choice of the Next Generation ads.

There was a great article about India, she hugs, she punches, she hugs again. Before R&R I was definitely being punched. Repeatedly. Now I suppose I’m getting hugged. I have had some difficult but rewarding cases lately in ACS – talking at length with a paranoid schizophrenic, helping with parental abduction cases, visiting hospitals.

For one whereabouts visit, I traveled to Auroville. The 20 kilometer village is an experiment in people from around the world living in harmony. A lovely idea, a beautiful place, delicious food. Some things are a bit over the top and I can see how others have been a bit freaked out by the place, but the goal is impressive and it was nice to see some true hippy crunchy commune living still surviving. The nursing home in Pondicherry was not as nice, looked more like a scene from that movie about when Hemingway was an ambulance driver in WW I. Someday I’ll return to both places and actually see them fully but at least I can check the two off the list. Oh, and the score is now up to three for finding people that have been reported either dead or near death far from that state.

We finally did our dance!!!! I can’t believe how nervous I was but at the end of the day we rocked the house!!!! There were some mistakes but overall it was pretty rad and we got lots of compliments! Later that night we went to Kryptos for dinner to celebrate making it through and also Holly’s birthday. Good day.

Friday night was the pub crawl. I had my handy dandy ghost Halloween headband with blinking lights and it was agreed ahead of time that when I placed it on my head we would head to the next place. I also handed out voting cards so we could be all official with our judging. Starting at Chipstead I met some Irishmen in town on work. Then we headed to 10 Downing Street where we were treated terribly and forced to listen to multiple Abba songs while Bridget paid almost $20 for a vodka tonic. However, Katie was able to argue a partial refund. Classy. Finally we danced our way out of the hellish British pub wannabe and made it over to Bike and Barrel. Awesome music (yeah put a ring on it) and dancing, shots for Holly’s birthday, the goofy costumes (to be fair the waiters at 10 Downing Street also had disturbing costumes involving fake G money gold chains), the guys looking down from above kept up there by the nets – B&B did not disappoint. One of our crew was forced to wear the rent a shoes – Chennai’s version of the loaner jacket! Holly barely avoided a water attack by me. A wine glass was broken.

From B&B we headed over to Dublin. Although getting a drink was super hard, Dublin had some advantages. When we first walked in there was a big Marilyn Monroe with the face cutout to take pictures stop. Yeah. And then there was crazy 80’s music all over the place and a lot of other coworkers dancing it on up. There was just a bunch of silliness. But fun. And then we walked to Havana in the rain. One of our dance class songs was playing when we entered but when it finished music was over and last call happened. So we sat around and drank and then returned to my place. Where Holly handed me her DVD of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I went to the balcony with Behrang and Mark and upon returning there was a bunch of people doing the Time Warp in my living room. Awesome.

Last night was the murder mystery dinner party. I had never done one of these so I had really looked forward to it. Everyone looked awesome all dressed up 1920’s style. I was Color Pencille, an artist of ambiguous medium. While the evening was a ton of fun, there is something totally creepy about playacting super sleazy dude behavior with married coworkers. I realize this is the basic premise of Halloween but still. A bit creepy. Oh heck yeah, November tomorrow….NANOWRIMO!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment